Saturday, January 22, 2005

Mission Possible

NOT ALL THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE IS IMPOSSIBLE

################################################

Hi people! Has anyone tried to induce radical changes to yourself or your surroundings? Over the past few years, I had tried quite a number of tests and experiments in an attempt to bring about wonders to my life and people around. Some of these were rather ridiculous by nature and support was limited. Most of what I had done can be considered as minor projects, not really worth mentioning. A one man show will be more than required. However, for the 1st time in life I'd decided to persue challenges which I alone can hardly comprehend. Henceforth I posted this blog, reaching out to possible expertise within people I know, and hopefully bag a couple of helpful response.

The informations below are the ideas I have in mind at the moment:

Mission 1:
Rebuilding a fresh water pond, surface size ~ area of 3 football field. Location: Bukit Gombak.
To people staying in the west of S'pore, I believe you've heard of or even visited a park by the name of "Little Gui Lin". Within this park is a fresh water pond created from Gabbro mining in the past. I still remember when I was young, this pond was clear and full of aquatic life. The submerged water plants gave the water a distinct green outlook, with fishes and turtles populating the near bank where they were fed by visitors. With the layered Gabbro hill as back drop, together with jutting pieces of rock fragments and a dense primary rain forest, it was a scenic spot in this modern city.

I passed by the pond twice recently, to discover the shocking degrad of this beautiful natural habitat. The water has become murky and obviously infested with yellowish algae. The water plants were no longer visable and there was hardly a sign of animal life. One side of the pond is littered with trash as well. I have no idea what went wrong but I certainly don't like the sight of it. I know Singaporeans largely neglects nature but I really do not want such a rare habitat to go to waste, therefore coming up with the wild idea of purifying and reconstructing it.

Currently, I'm in the process of studying the possibilities of destroying the algaes and balancing the nutrients in the water with friends more familiar with aquarium. I have researched on a kind of aquarium fish called the Siamese Algae Eater, but have no idea of its sale in S'pore. Snails and certain shrimps are useful for my work too. I'm also looking out for low cost, quick multiplying fresh water plants, which will be necessary to re-vitalize the water. Anybody out there, be it experts or amatures with brilliant suggestions please feel free to contribute. Fish tank owners with unwanted creatures/ plants are welcomed. This project is one which I have little confidence in success, so the more help the better.

What I've done so far:
Collected a sample of water
Released 3 sucker fishes and 4 crippled freshwater lobsters into the pond

BE PART OF THE COMMUNITY

Mission 2:
SECRET [experiment]
(chemist out there can try guessing, its not so hard to predict)
I'd like to hands on making something rather ancient but very useful even up till today, though it can be a bit dangerous. Its just a simple test. The formula has been obtained, with 1 of its 3 components already in place. Currently in the search for
(1)Sulphur: Highly available in provision shops, adventure shops etc. Only problem lies in the purity of this element. Market goods may be in the form of compounds/ or mixed with other substances which might affect the result of my experiment.
(2)Saltpetre: My main problem. A compound present in School labs and industries, but not on sale in market. Saltpetre is a general name for naturally occuring form of potassium nitrate{KNO3}, sodium nitrate{NaNO3} and calcium nitrate Ca(NO3)2}. Any 1 of these substances will work for my experiment. I dun really need either compound in mineral form, but at least it has to be in solid form. Its possible to do lab QA and obtain NaNO3 at home from nitrate based fertilizers, but the NaNO3 will be in solution form, and other by products will be formed.

I'm not expecting people to get these items for me. Instead I would like to be enlightened by some chemists who can teach me a few tricks in getting the necessary products.

LEARN FROM HISTORY

Mission 3:
BodY BuildinG!
Its an attempt to build on my out look. I'm not very satisfied with the width of my shoulders and upper body muscles, especially the triceps and back. To my knowledge, many guys like to maintain their weights around a certain range. As for me, I'm looking inot ways of mass gaining, increasing my weight for 70kg to ~75kg, with almost all the weight built on upper body muscles. I'd went on protein diets and been a rather hard core gym guy for months in camp, to the extent that some shoulder ligaments are exessively strained and now undergoing physiotherapy. The weights training made me stronger, but protein diets and high calories intake are not taking effect. There is no significant muscle growth and my weight still stands at 70kg. A more demoralising factor came after reading articles in MensHealth Magazines and internet sources. Apparently, some people in this world are just not genetically programmed to be body builders. For my case, exceptionally high metabolism burns practically every energy source intake, so it is much harder for me to put on a kg in fats than most people, not to mention a kg of muscles.

I dunno how many guys in 4E visits the gym and workout, but in any case... if you've got workout techniques/ diet tips useful for me of successful stories of friends and such, pls share a bit. I can also provide some useful materials and my bit of tips in exchange.


BE SOMEBODY

Mission 4:
Investment$(probably starting at 21)
Its always safe to keep all our hard earned money in banks. Banks are stable and restricts over expenditure for most of us. I too have a certain amount saved after 2 years of work & NS. After several near misses of serious accidents,witnesses of disasters unfolding and influences from business minded friends, I'm having many new thoughts of banking money. I wondered why my mum keeps telling me keep all cash in banks for use in emergencies, when chances are you probably won't be using money again when emergencies really strikes. I questioned the productivity of money in banks, especially when interests are insignificant. A sense of financial challenge looms over me since taking up Biz Admin 2 yrs ago as well.

To satisfy some of my desires, and to induce market economy into a greater part of my life, I planned to set aside ~50% of my savings for shares investments and stock brooking. I have no idea of becoming a hard core brooker, just wanna try out, play play a bit. If well managed, that sum of savings may sky rocket, multiply. Whereas I stand a chance of magically transform notes into papers. As I'm not educated in this field, I need help from people to gain in-depth knowledge of shares dealing. I'm also looking for partners who are interested to wander into similiar investments. The time seems good.

NO RISK, NO GAIN

*******************************************************************

DREAMZ DRIVE MAN TO GREATER HEIGHTS
BELIEVE IN DREAMZ

1 Comments:

Blogger LoHokHim said...

HAHA. why you wanan train upper-body?? i think too big chest muscle is quite ugly!!!
jog long distance!!! of about 10km each 3 times a wee, i assure you of very nice body-shape, defined abs, muscular leg, reasonable chest and shoulder width!!!
if u only wanna concentrate on upper body, ask tong cheuk fung for solution man!!!!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who are the funky ones


links


ZX Seow
Jiamin
Huiwen
Xingjuan
Sianying
Zining

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]