Monday, April 04, 2005

A tribute to John Paul II, the People's Pope

I'm not a catholic, nor a believer of any other religion. Yet for some reasons, the late Pope John Paul II touched my heart deeply for several years. He bore great admirations form someone like me, an outsider to church, to god, to any other faith and religion. This blog shall be written with my limited knowledge of him, as an act of respect and sympathy for the lost of a great man.

I had little knowledge of the papacy till recent years, when more news of the Pope emerge on the daily news. Pope's visit to India, Pope suffers from pakinson's disease, Pope's stance on Iraq war, homosexuality etc... In the last few weeks, when his health got worse, was the time I heard more, read more about him. And of course, on the day of his passing, I could access his whole life story from basically every source of media.

A man deserves honour from people for the extraordianary in his lifetime. Ever since I know of this great man, I adored his efforts and contributions to world peace, religious harmony and the moral values he held. I believe for visiting & kissing the floor of 130+ countries, he has probably been to more lands, spoke to a larger group of people and seen by more people then any other world leaders. Communism weakened under his speeches and the lost gained faith from his prayers. His will to serve saw him braving physical dificulties. Few men who ever walked the face of this world have such courage to shake hands with their most fearsome arch enemies, let alone embracing his assassin. And of course, his acceptance to modern age developements, strong emphasis on ethical and moral values made catholism as well as papacy survives in the new age, and stands out from many other conservative religions.

Maybe the deepest impression of John Paul II was the smile on his face. So peaceful, serene and spiritual. His prayers sounded the hearts of millions and blessings brought light upon the world. Breaking the scores of arch rivals, and breaking the Walls of Berlin and breaking the barriers of the people. He's brought faith and values to life. A controversial religious leader he might be, yet a figure of hope, a great communicator and a saviour to some.

May your glory grow in the churches and across the world, great man of the 20th century. My respect to you, Karol Wojtyla, his Holiness Pope John Paul II, the People's Pope, the 1 and only Pope in my hearts so far.

"But if there be truth in me, it should explode. I cannot reject it; I would be rejecting myself."
-Karol Jozef Wojtyla, 1961

"Be Not Afraid."
"man cannot remain with no way out"
-Pope John Paul II

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who are the funky ones


links


ZX Seow
Jiamin
Huiwen
Xingjuan
Sianying
Zining

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]