Saturday, February 26, 2005

THE COMING OF 21

09/03/1984... In the infamous KK hospital of Singapore... I was born.
Blessed with a loving family and kind environment, I grew up. Strived for good schools and aimed for high grades, I fought up. Walked the streets and toured thy lands, I wise up. Worked the society and served the army, I rose up. Met new people and made countless friends, I live up... ...up to the guy who wrote this up passage, deep in thoughts up the mind, yet full of crap up the screen. I'm not trying to up anybody here but friends who read this must be quite up.

OK... OK... no need for thumbs up or middle finger up. The reasons for starting with an "up" paragraph, with my limited linguistic ability, is largely to focus on the fact that I've grown up. In a matter of days I'll be 21, the age of legal recognition in all aspects. The age which so call:"get the golden key". When I'll be known as adult everywhere, able to vote for paliament, invest shares, watch RA films and register for flat, car & marraige. The age which rings a bell in me, telling me I've lived >25% of my entire life. (Based on assumption that I live to 76, the average life expectancy of Singaporean man. Average life expectancy of Singaporean women:80yrs) An alarm pestering me that I need to buck up, at the time when I'm most energetic and vibrant, b4 all runs out. These rumbbling thoughts also spurred me into writing something. Something to share with friends out there, friends who will join the adult population in months to come as well as those who were already there. Hopefully something inspirational.

Reflecting on the past 20+ yrs, I've got to question myself what have I done and what was I doing. Seriously speaking, I don't find much achievements worth mentioning. For most of the time I had been studying to score in examinations, play soccer at weekend, computer and video games, card games, mahjong or simply sit & rot away. I do not say all these activities are no good, but I do find that many a times we're aimless when engrossed in them. I had little problems with study all the way up till Sec 4, most probably because an appetite for wisdom allowed me to enjoy the education process and absorb all the knowledge in an instant. Up till today, I still remember some Sec Sch stuffs. In JC, I studied S3 because of peer and family pressure. I find engineering damn sian & seriously dislike F-Math from the start, but force myself to work on it. In the end it became a useless subject to my University course. Time could had been better spent. Next, I feel that playing soccer every weekend is becoming meaningless. Soccer is a fabulous sport that should be encouraged, but most of the time we just kick the ball round the court. People have varied interests and personalities but I find it important to get more exposure, including other sports. Gaming is fun and relaxing, but I tend to get hooked easily and spend unneccesary time on it. It can be costly too. Lastly, something I wanted to say on V Day, but no time... I find myself a loser at relations for the past years. The recent CNY was a deep impact in my heart, when relatives ask about my girl-friend. It feels really lousy to say I never had a stead, for 3 years since they start to ask such Qns. when I was 18. Hey man... buck up.

There are bound to be many regrets for anybody's life, but there are also treasured memories which inspire happiness in us, tell us that at times we do take the right track & hope for a better future is always there. I'm an extrovert with mixed characteristics many personality tests can hardly classify. I enjoy being with people and like to see the world. Though life in school , military and work had been full of nonsence and complains, I enjoy the company of friends known form all different areas. Keeping contacts with several groups of friends is toublesome & difficult, but I just like the massive interaction and tight schedue of activities/events. Different groups of friends have different interest, allowing limitless exposure to the world and I can have a little of everything in mind to communicate with others. Dealing with large groups of friends also trained my composure and diplomatic abilities. I'm also rather fortunate to get many chances to travel, in Singapore & other countries. Its an enjoyment to be on the move, I believe that the distance covered always turns out to be useful experience. Even more fortunate, I've been thru so many more "red" events as compared to "white" events. I'm very lucky to have a very complete extended family and in close ties with all. Then of cos all the unforgettable moments in life so far... ...class outings of Pr Sch to JC classmates, annual chalets, trips, working for $, chiong sua with a band of brothers, family functions, friends gatherings etc... ...

Life is full of UPs and DOWNs. Keep the UPs and drop the DOWNs.
to everybody born in 1984 and read the blog: May your Dreamz come true

1 Comments:

Blogger LoHokHim said...

Happy birthday in advance liren!!!!

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who are the funky ones


links


ZX Seow
Jiamin
Huiwen
Xingjuan
Sianying
Zining

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]